Pages

Sunday, August 27, 2017

His departure

The fan hums in the background in a gentle whisper. In the distance airplanes approaching the runway at SFO and what sounds like a thunderous distant roar. For a second it reminds me of the sound the earth makes when the Bay quakes. I could see in my head people circling the airport arrival gates as they wait to hear from their wife, son, mother, father letting them know they have arrived.

The buzz of his clippers cuts through the fan, the flip flop of his chanclas as he walks around the bedroom stuffing his clothes and uniforms into his seabag. Packing for deployment, a ritual he has down to a science. The rattle of his aspirin bottle as he shakes to see what's left. I tell him to take it...I won't use it. I hear it all and absorb it like an old song I've heard before. Like that melody that I can't get out of my head on repeat.

His noise ... a reminder of the silence that will come and sit with me while he's gone.  Silence is bliss they say. I don't know about that?

The shower is on now, splashes of water hitting the shower door. Its 1:42 am, his flight leaves in just 4 hours. We will take a quick nap, wake up, load the car and drop him off.

A kiss, a hug and I love you be safe.

Sarah and I planned to get breakfast afterwards.

Reset clocks lets do this.



No comments:

Post a Comment